Are you looking for a tasty and healthy alternative to traditional pesto? Look no further than vegan pesto! Not only is it delicious and easy to make, but it is also more affordable and nutritious than store-bought varieties.
Making your own vegan pesto is simple and requires just a few key ingredients. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to make vegan pesto at home. We will also discuss the benefits of making your own vegan pesto and offer some serving suggestions.
Whether you are vegan or simply looking for a healthier alternative, this article will show you exactly how to make vegan pesto and enjoy it at home. So, let’s get started!
Ingredients for Vegan Pesto
Making vegan pesto is easy and requires only a handful of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
|Fresh basil leaves||2 cups|
|Lemon juice||2-3 tablespoons|
|Nutritional yeast||2-3 tablespoons|
|Pine nuts or walnuts (optional)||1/4 cup|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1/4 to 1/2 cup|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
If you want to make a nut-free vegan pesto, simply omit the pine nuts or walnuts and use a bit more nutritional yeast to give the pesto its unique cheesy flavor.
You can also customize your vegan pesto by using different herbs, such as parsley or cilantro, instead of basil. This will give your pesto a fresh and unique taste.
Now that you’ve got your ingredients, let’s move on to how to make vegan pesto with our easy recipe in the next section.
How to Make Vegan Pesto
Vegan pesto is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional pesto, and it’s incredibly easy to make at home. All you need are a few simple ingredients and a food processor or blender.
|Fresh basil leaves||2 cups|
|Pine nuts||1/2 cup|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||1/2 cup|
|Nutritional yeast||2 tbsp|
You can also experiment with other herbs like parsley or cilantro to create different flavour profiles. For a nut-free version, you can use sunflower seeds or hemp hearts instead of pine nuts.
- Start by washing your basil leaves and patting them dry with a paper towel.
- Add the basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic cloves, nutritional yeast, and salt to your food processor or blender.
- Begin blending the ingredients together on low speed, gradually increasing the speed to high. Slowly pour in the olive oil as you blend until everything is fully combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor or blender with a spatula and blend again for a few more seconds until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste the pesto and adjust the seasoning as needed, adding more salt or nutritional yeast if desired.
- Your vegan pesto is now ready to use as a sauce for pasta, a dip for veggies, or anything else you can think of!
Not only is making your own vegan pesto at home quick and easy, but it’s also much more affordable than buying pre-made pesto from the store. Plus, by making it yourself, you can ensure that it’s free of any additives or preservatives and packed with fresh, nutritious ingredients.
Best Vegan Pesto Serving Suggestions
Now that you have made your own delicious and healthy vegan pesto, it’s time to enjoy it! Here are some of the best serving suggestions for your homemade vegan pesto:
- Add it to pasta: Toss your favorite pasta with vegan pesto and enjoy a quick and tasty meal.
- Use it as a dip: Serve vegan pesto with fresh vegetables, crackers, or bread for a healthy snack.
- Make pizza: Use vegan pesto as a pizza sauce and top it with your favorite veggies for a delicious and healthy pizza.
- Spread it on sandwiches: Use vegan pesto as a spread on your sandwiches for a burst of flavor.
Healthy and delicious, vegan pesto can be used in a variety of ways. Its versatility makes it a great addition to any meal. Mix it with hummus, avocado, or any other spread for a unique and flavorful combination.
Finally, remember that a little bit of vegan pesto goes a long way. Use it sparingly and enjoy the delicious taste and health benefits that it provides.
FAQ about Vegan Pesto
If you’re new to vegan pesto, you might have some questions about how to make it, store it and use it in your recipes. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions:
How do you make dairy-free pesto?
Vegan pesto is already dairy-free, but you can make it even creamier by using vegan cream cheese or adding cashews to the recipe. To make a basic vegan pesto, simply replace the cheese with nutritional yeast, add garlic, pine nuts, basil and olive oil. Blend all the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth, and voila! You have a delicious and creamy vegan pesto.
How should you store vegan pesto?
Vegan pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also freeze it for longer storage. To thaw it, just leave it in the fridge overnight and give it a good stir before using.
What are the best vegan pesto recipes?
Some popular vegan pesto recipes include pasta with vegan pesto sauce, vegan pesto pizza, roasted vegetables with pesto and vegan pesto risotto. You can also use vegan pesto as a spread on sandwiches or as a dip for crackers and vegetables.
What makes the best vegan pesto?
The best vegan pesto is made using fresh, high-quality ingredients and a good-quality olive oil. You can also experiment with different herbs and nuts to create unique and delicious variations of vegan pesto. Try adding sun-dried tomatoes, avocado or kale to your recipe for a tasty twist.
Now that you know how to make vegan pesto, you can enjoy this delicious and healthy sauce in a variety of recipes. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian or just looking for a healthy and tasty alternative to traditional pesto, vegan pesto is a great choice!